Skip to content
- The word “Ruby” comes from the Latin word “Rubens” which means red.
- Rubies are considered one of the four precious gemstones, along with diamonds, emeralds, and sapphires.
- Rubies, like sapphires, are made up of corundum, but only red Corundum is classified as a Ruby.
- Chromium is what gives the stone its red color.
- After Diamonds, Rubies are the second hardest gemstones.
- It is normal for a ruby to have inclusions (material that is trapped inside a mineral during its formation), it is one way to distinguish between a synthetic ruby and a genuine one.
Rubies are a common gift for 15th and 40th wedding anniversaries.
- Most of the rubies on the market come from Thailand.
- Rubies were once believed to improve blood circulation and help the body fight infections.
- Ruby is the birthstone for the month of July.